Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Inner Door Handle!!!

Whenever I enter a public bathroom, whether at work or at a restaurant, I hate to touch the door leading to the toilet seat. Worse than that the inner door handle!!

If you think about the action that goes on - A person enters (assuming his hands are clean) and shuts the toilet's door. He takes care of business (whether no.1 or no. 2, it does not really matter) and then touches the door handle with that dirty hand as he exits, washes his hands (hopefully) and leaves the bathroom.

When the next person comes in and shuts the door from the inside, he is in fact touching that dirty handle and transferring that dirt to himself.

Imagine how dirty this handle must become as the day goes by!!!

How should one avoid this situation besides the obvious:

Avoiding public bathrooms, or using a tissue when touching anything in the bathroom!

Shouldn't they have some sort of anti bacterial / viral spray above the door handle?

We really need to do something about this !!!

13 comments:

Dyxio said...

Umm...Eww! :P Thank you for changing my whole perspective towards public bathrooms. (Kudos to your post for making me post my first comment in months) :D

3baid said...

I know it's gross but as long as you keep in mind that your hand IS dirty, all you need to do is get in, get out then wash your hand before you do something like rub your eyes :P

sushiblue said...

Dyxio- Thanks for your comment

3baid- The major problem lies between Shutting&locking the door and taking care of business. Your hands will be contaminated as soon as you shut the door and it will be difficult not to touch anything after that.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. That's why I never use public bathrooms unless absolutely necessary.

Anonymous said...

Yes that IS nasty! The worst is when you see people walking out of a bathroom without washing their hands. That's even grosser coz what if you meet that person and you come into contact with them after?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for brining up this issue, I've always been discusted and what I do is either have somebody else open the door and I slide through with them, or like u said, take a tissue and open it with it. Now, what public bathroom makers CAN do is have a door with no handle...the swinging type, that way you can use ur body or leg :>

Diver said...

I really don't know why, but I started thinking this way after having children before than I really couldn't care less. It seems its something that comes with getting old

Anonymous said...

Dude, you've got OCD.

Anonymous said...

Hey!
I am totally agree with ur opinion and any one who is using public bathroom, must use tissue to open that inner side handle...

Transparently said...

To tell you the truth I was thinking about this exat thing a few days ago. Now that I realize the date of your post.. you've thought about it way before I have.

Anywho, higene is very important.

Anonymous said...

I think that there is a Belgium or French guy who invented a very interesting solution for this issue, a special handle that you push with your arm, I don't remember where I saw that but I'll check it out and put it on my blog!

Esperanza said...

actually ur absolutly right but then who cares to do these things?? we just have to live with it through our life personly i try as much as possibly to not go i just hate it!!!;D

Fatma Q said...

mm well i think i've got enough white blood cells to fight such things ;p